Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 11, on September 13

I spent a lot of time reflecting on the events of that very same day 11 years ago. The crazy thing I realized that a lot of people my age did not remember what they were doing that day, but I do vividly. School was shut down right around lunch time. At the time me and my sister were going to seperate schools, so I we picked her up after I myself was picked up from school. One of our friends birthday was that day, so we decided that we would go with him and his family to the park to play for the rest of the day. I was a very curious child so of course I asked my mother what was going on. She explained that planes hade started to hit two towers in New York, and that their were other planes that were missing and might hit places far away from us. I remeber not being very scared, but just very imaginative. I kept looking up into the sky, searching for planes up in the pale blue emptiness. I sat on a piece of playground equipment and pulled one of my friends over and asked him to look at the sky with me, to watch out for planes. He said he was busy, so I remained still like that for a long period  of time, gazing like a stargazer would on a cloudy night.
Even at such a young age I was able to take that days  facts with little fear, andoverall just an overpowering sense of fascination. To this day,  I still remain curious about all the details, and have been investing time into researching more about the attacks. I don't think I am fascinated by the distruction. I take it more as an obbligation upon myself to remember all of these tragedies so that later in my life I can tell people my accounts of certain events in an interesting way, so that these valued parts of history will not be left in the shadows. I want to be an avid member of history, and I plan to do so by never forgetting all we have lost in 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment